Friday, November 13, 2009

drama day 1

It was a bad day. It was a bad two days. I spent yesterday talking down 5 girls from fighting. They had been antagonized, one took the bait and went looking for a fight. The others went with her, some to stop her, some to back her up. They play on the team I coach. The girl who was supposedly antagonizing the fight came in with her mother to press charges. Because there were more than 3 girls positively identified, it's automatically a gang charge. Today, we had a security issue. About 30 girls were waiting outside for these 5 to come out. Deans and I were rounding girls up so they wouldn't go out to fight. Some were easy to pull from class, one was hiding. It was not how I wanted to spend the last two hours of my day. No one fought. The cops came and arrested a few of the girls outside. We had college representatives coming today to interview prospective students. This is not the type of show you want to put on for college admissions.

But this shit happens every year. I didn't react to the pregnant student whom I asked last year if she was going to graduate college or start making babies for the welfare check. The beginning of the year is over. Now it's time to make a name for yourself. Look tough. Get out of class. Something. I don't know.

So instead of going to a bar, I got two pints of Ben and Jerrys, my husband read my mind and bought two bottles of wine and I'm reading Perez Hilton to complete the brain numbing. It's not that today was so bad. It was, but not mind-splitting. It's the realization that it's only going to keep going. The other side of the school year has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment