Thursday, September 24, 2009

worlds collide

I wish these nuggets happened once a day, but post-worthy things all seem to happen at once.

Husband came home today. He had to go to a board meeting with his boss. His boss is bad at running the company. Husband had to defend a list of 15 business proposals that he did not create. The board, who has very little involvement in the day-to-day running of the company and thinks management is putting people on the spot four times a year, grilled husband. I told his this is what education administrators are like.

I have a few kids who got switched out of one of my English classes after three weeks into school. They went to the programming office to try to get switched back; it wouldn't be difficult. They're in another English class the same period and I have room in my class. The switch was arbitrary. The programming office told them they weren't making any more changes. They tried to tell the office that this was the first time they had been excited about English class, and that this was the first time they had been challenged in English class.

The programming office wouldn't switch them back. I told them to keep fighting. I told them I taught grammar that day in a British accent. Because really, grammar is so boring, you need to do something. I do cartoons for some grammar, but a proper British accent came to me first period, so I ran with it all day. They were mad they missed it and asked for an example of my accent. Now I was laughing and I couldn't get myself to do it. I'm much better in front of a full house than a private gig.

Schools are run by people out of touch with the day-to-day business of the classroom. A place where it is totally logical to code switch from Mrs. Doubtfire and Mrs. H to explain a grammar idea. Administrators wouldn't understand. They just tell me to stop sending kids to the programming office and ask if the state standards are posted on my blackboard.

God forbid a student should want to be in a class. How (please imagine Mrs. Doubtfire) hawrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment